Re: position on changing defaults?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: position on changing defaults?
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 12:40:24 -0400

    > That is a separate feature, and a major change in Emacs's region
    > mechanism.  It may be good, but it calls for careful discussion and
    > thought.  We should not adopt such a change because it came along
    > with some other feature.

    Unless you explicitly hit C-RET, you'll never notice it's there.

We are miscommunicating.  I am saying it is a major change in Emacs's
region mechanism.  You're saying the change is not incompatible.  Ok,
but it is still a major change.  It would require major changes in the
Emacs manual.

These different features are separate and unrelated questions, and we
should not let them be tied together by a historical accident the
available code.  The right way to consider various features is one by
one, as independent issues.

I think we should postpone discussion of rectangle selection until the
matter of shift motion is entirely finished with in one way or another.