Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Sam Steingold
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 15:53:11 -0400

> * Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> [2008-06-29 21:02:23 +0300]:
>
>> From: Reiner Steib <address@hidden>
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>>         address@hidden
>> Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 13:06:42 +0200

>> I don't care much about this issue, but when looking for a ChangeLog
>> entry or a comment, it is easier to search only for a single spelling
>> variant.
>
> Do you really search ChangeLog files for common words like color and
> flavor?

As a part of a complex regexp, sometimes.

More generally, I would like to offer my 2 kopecks on the issue.

Most people on this list are probably either native English speakers or
quite proficient with it, so this matter might seem unimportant to them.
However, not everyone in the world is, and the number of people with
poor English trying to read Emacs sources, including ChangeLogs and
comments, will only increase with time.
Believe it or not, good grammar is absolutely crucial to understanding
even a simple sentence (you need to study a foreign language as an adult
to truly appreciate this observation - however trivial it might seem to
a linguist), and consistent spelling would help a beginner a lot.

--
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Fedora release 9 (Sulphur)
http://pmw.org.il http://honestreporting.com http://israelunderattack.slide.com