Re: Bugs against emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Bugs against emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 02:13:35 -0800

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > There's no way to know whether such a message is going to actually
> > through, and it's still pretty hackish anyway. People really need to
> > stay away from the "reply-to-all" crack.
>
> I don't think that's right: "reply to all" should include address@hidden,
> but not address@hidden, not bug-gnu-emacs, not emacs-pretest-bug, not
> bug-submit-list, ... so the problem is in the headers of the
> messages sent by Debbugs which doesn't strip some of those addresses
> (tho it does seem to strip address@hidden properly).

The Reply-To: is set to the From:/Reply-To: of the incoming message
and the bug itself, no matter how the bug came in.

> If "reply-to-all" sends to addresses to which the reply should
> *never* be sent, then the error is not in the use of rely-to-all,
> but in the headers of the email to which the user is replying.

No, the error is in the use of reply-to-all which include To: in
addition to addresses listed in Reply-To:. The only way to work around
these sorts of idiocies is to totally strip the To: header entirely,
which is fundamentally broken.

Don Armstrong

--
If I had a letter, sealed it in a locked vault and hid the vault
somewhere in New York. Then told you to read the letter, thats not