RE: Fiddling with the menus

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Fiddling with the menus
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 17:10:10 -0700

Lennart> ... merge the "Search" and "Replace" menus

Jason> I originally thought the Tag commands were
     > in Search, but they are in Go To (there are
     > commands to search the tagged files in search,
     > but that actually does a search...

I don't really want to get into this thread. Been there, done that. I'll just
say (once more) what I do, FWIW.

I have a top-level Search menu - it's not under Edit.

On the Search menu, I have all of the search and replace stuff, as well as all
of the "goto" stuff. (The entries shown here with `>' are submenus.)

--------------------
Incremental Search >
Replace >
Grep...
Occurrences...
Tags >
Bookmarks >
Go To >
--------------------

The last one is just the vanilla Go To catchall. I didn't bother to do anything
with it, so it still duplicates the tags stuff - someday I'll remove the tags
stuff from Go To.

I do still have non-incremental search stuff on the Search menu also, but I
agree that it could go away. Here's how I present the non-incremental stuff:

------------------
String Forward...
       Backward...
Regexp Forward...
       Backward...
Word   Forward...
       Backward...
------------------
Repeat Forward
       Backward
------------------

The Incremental Search submenu looks similar, but without the Word and Repeat
items. (Yes, it could reasonably have Word items too.)

The Replace submenu looks like this:

----------------
Query String
      Regexp...
      Map...
      Tags... (again: M-,)
----------------
Global String...
       Regexp
----------------

The Tags submenu looks like this:

----------------------------
Find Tag...
Find Next Tag
Find Tag Regexp...
Search Tagged Files...
Continue Tags Search/Replace
Tags Apropos...
Set Tags File Name...

For buffers such as Dired, I have no Edit menu; just the Search menu.

[I also have Icicles submenus for the Search, Tags, and Bookmarks menus.]