Re: bzr workflow

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: bzr workflow
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:37:04 +0100

Sam Steingold <address@hidden> writes:

> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
> appears to indicate that I need to commit _twice_ for each change (with the
> same log message?):

This was extensively discussed here a few days ago.

> Workflow for a Quick Change
> bzr commit -m "Fix bla bla bla (closes Bug #1)."
>
> Merging Into the Upstream Master
> bzr merge
> bzr commit -m "Merge: fix bla bla bla (closes Bug #1)."
>

> 1. Am I the only one who thinks this is a little too convoluted?

No, you are not alone.

You can use

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrQuickStartForEmacsDevs

or a variation of it as described below.

There is something that I disagree with BzrForEmacsDevs: a quickfix that
requires more than one commit or that spans so long in time to warrant a
merge from upstream does not qualify as a quickfix for me.

For the people that works with the distributed workflow and thinks that
a quickfix should map to one and only one commit, there is an easy
solution: bind your quickfixes/ branch to upstream:

cd quickfixes/
bzr bind URL_TO_UPSTREAM/trunk

after this, your workflow for quick fixes becomes:

bzr up
bzr commit -m "Fix bla bla bla (closes Bug #1)."

and you can use VC-dir all along.

[snip]

--
Óscar