Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:16:32 +0200

2010-07-16 19:27, Tassilo Horn skrev:

This heavily depends on your keyboard layout.  IMO, the worst decision a
developer of an editor can make is to base the keybindings on one
specific layout.  For example, vi's hjkl-movement bindings are totally
awkward on my German Dvorak Type II keyboard.  In contrast, emacs C-n,
C-f, C-b and C-p have mnemonics which are clear and independent from the
layout.

Similarly, C-k, C-y and M-y have clear mnemonics derived from the
concepts of killing and yanking.

CUA is terrible in this regard. C-x, C-c and C-v are all next to each other. I often do C-c when C-v was inteded...

        Jan D.