Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:08:28 +0100

Juanma Barranquero writes:

> > Yes, sure.  But, I think you are joining in in a subthread where
> > Yidong has been pushing the view that treating the windows key as meta
> > is unreasonable.
>
> No, he doesn't. He says that making that at the Emacs level is
> unreasonable.

Ok, that was a subtlety that I missed for while.  I have no trouble
using an external program to do key remapping.  But what is it that
you want it to do, to get the windows key act as meta?  I would
appreciate a clear specification.

> And I think that making this the default, or implying
> that it's the only sane behavior for Windows users, or necessary
> somehow, is unreasonable.

Sorry if I gave that impression.  I was only trying to demonstrate
that treating win as meta is *reasonable* (to counter Yidong's push
that it was unreasonable).

Come to think of it, my first PC keyboard probably didn't have the Win
key or had it at some awkward place.  So, I had begun to use Ctrl+Esc
and never paid attention to what the Win key does.  I have been
perfectly happy to use Ctrl+Esc and other combinations to serve all my
Windows needs.

I can well imagine that other users might have come through different
routes and might have different preferences.  I have no problem with
that, obviously.  Neither does Lennart.  Our only problem is that our
preferred solution is not supported by Emacs.  So, excuse me if I
shouted a bit too loudly!

Cheers,
Uday