Re: Key bindings proposal

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Key bindings proposal
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:32:35 +0200

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> It is Emacs who is behaving idiosyncratically in Windows, so the fix
>> must come from Emacs, not from a system-wide change.
>
> The current standard is used on all platforms: the key labelled "Alt" on
> the keyboard is handled internally by Emacs as Meta.

Windows users couldn't care less about what Emacs does on all the other
platforms.

> If this is an idiosyncracy, it is a very simple, uniform, and
> consistently-applied one.  I don't see a well-reasoned argument for
> deviating from it specifically for the Windows port, given that the
> de-facto desktop standards (such as the use of Alt-TAB for window
> switching) are identical between Windows and modern UNIX-like systems
> such as GNU/Linux.

On standard Windows applications, if you press and release Alt, the menu
is activated. Not so on KDE (most likely KDE has an option for enabling
that behvior, but it is not the default.) Alt+SPC on Windows activates
the window's system menu, used for moving, resizing, minimizing,
closing, etc. Not so on KDE. That feature is valued by people that tend
to avoid using the mouse. Possibly there are more instances.

But if the "problem" affects the other platforms too, that's a good
reason for allowing using the Windows key as Meta on all of them too,
right?