RE: Key bindings proposal

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Key bindings proposal
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:53:41 -0700

> > 3rd-party code will just have to adjust, providing two sets
> > of menu items: one that works in old Emacs versions (no
> > accelerator indication) and one that works in new versions.
> > Ugh.  And code that dynamically generates menu items would
> > need to be adapted to always DTRT.  Ugh.
>
> Can't this be handled something like this:
>
> - Provide a function in Emacs, say `menu-escape-underscore', that does
> escaping of underscore so that it is shown as an underscore.
>
> - Test for the presence of this function in external libraries.

The point is that legacy 3rd-party code makes no provision for anything.  It
simply includes `_' as an ordinary character.  Either the 3rd-party code must
change to recognize Emacs's different treatment in different versions or the new
Emacs behavior will treat `_' differently from what was intended.

If you mean that new Emacs would use (fboundp 'menu-escape-underscore) and then
handle the menu accordingly, that might make new Emacs DTRT with old 3rd-party
code.  But it would not solve the reverse problem of old Emacs versions handling
code that creates menus that expect the new treatment.

Maybe there is a good, simple solution, but I don't see it yet.