RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 12:11:05 -0700

> > But we're discussing here what to do with C-d:
> > for `delete' we already decided that it should delete an
> > active region (by default).
>
> I see.  Where/when was that decided?

I cannot find such a decision in the mailing list.  AFAICT, the <delete> key
wasn't even mentioned in Yidong's proposal ("Updated proposal for DEL to delete
active region"), except to remove it from `mouse-region-delete-keys'.

His proposal addressed the commands, not the keys, putting the <delete> and
<deletechar> keys squarely in the same boat as `C-d' (and `DEL').

So why do you apparently consider that <delete> has been decided and cannot be
discussed, whereas the question is still open for `C-d'?  Where/when did you
decide that the <delete> key, but not (yet) `C-d', should delete the active
region?