RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:02:01 -0800

> > There are 3 possibilities that have been discussed:
> > 1. It is bound in Emacs. Invoke the Emacs binding.
> > 2. It is not bound.  Raise an Emacs unbound error.
> > 3. It is not bound.  Pass Alt-F4 through to Windows.
> >
> > No one has disagreed about #1.  You think that #3 is always
> > preferable to #2 and should become hard-coded behavior.
>
> Yes, I actually do prefer #3 hard-coded instead of #2.
>
> I would be glad if you instead of writing a lot of things clearly told
> why you prefer #2 hard-coded.

I do not prefer #2 hard-coded.  I don't want either #2 or #3 hard-coded.  That
should be clear.

I don't want us to choose for the users which it should be.  I want to let users
and libraries decide what the behavior of Alt-f4 should be: let them choose #1,
#2, or #3.  Why not?

Do I really need to state why I prefer giving users more choice?

> > I think that the choice between #2 and #3
> > should be up to the user and Emacs libraries if possible.
>
> I can't see how both users and libraries could decide on this.

So far it seems to have been agreed that in any case (whatever is done or not
done) both users and libraries should feel free to bind M-f4 in Emacs.

How can both decide that?  Well how do they, today?  When you answer that you've
also answered your question to me about deciding #2 vs #3.

IOW, if either a user or a library can bind M-f4, then either should also be
able to decide what happens if M-f4 is invoked when unbound.  An optional
library is just an extension of a user: loading it and activating some of its
features is a user choice.

> I have nothing particular against such a choice [#2]

Great, then we can agree on it.

> but I can't really see the merit of it either.

The merit: More say (more control) by Emacs users, including Lispers, over their
Emacs experience.  Later binding: decide at user config time or run time, not at
address@hidden design time.

> >> No one has suggested that Alt+F4 should be hardcoded to be
> >> sent to w32.
> >
> > Odd that you would say this just after you asked what other
> > behavior could possibly exist.
>
> Could you please be a bit more exact in your questions?

See what you wrote at the top.  You've made it very clear that you want Alt+f4
hard-coded to pass through to Windows when unbound in Emacs.