Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Bikeshedding go! Why is <M-f4> unbound?
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 12:41:14 +0100

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 4:48 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:
>> It sounds like the 'correct' thing to do is is to call
>> let_Windows_process_it() whenever any "<foo-key> is undefined" message
>> is reported.
>
> Yes, that's another way to attack the problem.  And it would make sense.

I like this idea. It is platform independent and at the same time it
confirms to different platforms.

>> The question of how difficult that would be to do is another matter.
>
> Indeed, there are several potential difficulties:
> - the time when "<foo-key> is undefined" is run can be much later than
>  when we received the key event from Windows (some other events may
>  have been received in the mean time already, for example), so that
>  might cause extra difficulties.
> - when we get to "<foo-key> is undefined", the event has been remapped
>  a few times, so it can be far from obvious how to turn the resulting
>  Elisp event and turn it back into its original Windows event (tho,
>  we normally have access to the raw (un-remapped) Elisp event, so some
>  of that work is done).

We would need the original input event at the right level of the w32
event loop. Do you mean we have that?

If that can be handled I think it could be the best solution.

However simulating input events to the w32 message loop can be a bit
tricky perhaps. (But do not ask me about details right now.)