Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Changing the default for `send-mail-function'
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 09:14:02 +0200

Tim Cross <address@hidden> writes:

> Changing default settings is something that needs to be supported by
> evidence and not just opinion. So far, there does not seem to be any
> evidence to justify the change, only opinions. I have not observed an
> increase in bugs relating to mail configuration or requests for help
> to configure mail or frustration regarding the current default.
> Perhaps it is too difficult to acquire the necessary evidence?

>From old config files on the 'net or changes to the wiki, I have
received many Qs about mail setup : the wiki, for example, is a hotch
potch of conflicting approaches - many "almost correct". That in itself
is evidence enough of confusion. In the #emacs irc channel there is
frequently a "rolling of eyes" type response whenever someone asks emacs
mail questions... not fair necessarily but there you go. Gnus is, in
fairness, not for the feinthearted as it is. In short there are many
many many people who have issues with mail configs in emacs. Many of the
people having the issues are new to emacs and soon give up and move on -
they certainly are not competent enough or , and more importantly,
confident enough to raise bugs. So I feel There is an issue and it does
need tackling.

The reluctance to change legacy defaults is meant well I am sure, but
people who have used emacs long term and know it backwards can soon
figure out how to change their setup to the "old way" : *new users*
should not be handed difficult to use defaults because of the reluctance
of a tiny minority.