Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 00:39:00 +0200

Hi Tom,

Tom <address@hidden> writes:

> Vyacheslav Gonakhchyan <ytriffy <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
>>  Ok, good example. It can fly if it will get enough
>> visibility(perhaps on slashdot).But what about support? Emacs
>> and Java are constantly in development.New version will come
>> out and additional work will be required. Another kickstarter
>> might be a solution,
>
> Code maintenance is easier. The hard task is implementing the feature
> itself.

The relevant distinction to use here might not be easy vs. hard, but
boring vs. fun instead.  Using this distinction, maintainance is often
boring while developing new features is often fun (and more rewarding).
It is hard to get people paid for doing funny things while others are
not paid for doing boring stuff that the funny ones depend on.

I think that's the real challenge here.

But there have been good advice in this thread:

- enhance https://my.fsf.org/associate/donate/working-together to
  mention more GNU projects;

- try funding a new Emacs feature through a kickstarter-like system.

I hope someone will be bold enough to get one of these things done!

--
 Bastien