Re: Kickstarter for Emacs

From: Tom
Subject: Re: Kickstarter for Emacs
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 05:28:09 +0000 (UTC)

Eric Schulte <eric.schulte <at> gmx.com> writes:

> Maybe the FSF donation system linked above should be enhanced adding;
>
> 1. increased donation granularity to specific features tasks or bugs,
>
> 2. user (not-developer) introduction of projects of interest, e.g., "if
>    someone did X I'd happily donate Y" and an up-vote or up-donate
>    driven system of ranking and displaying pledges.

Maybe it should be a simple feature voting system from the user side,
because processing the actual donations (taking them, refunding them
if not enough people actually donates for the feature, etc) is
complicated, and not likely to be implemented quickly.

So this feature could only be about getting an idea how many people
want a particular feature, and when developers see what people
actually want then they could start the actual proposals on one
of the mentioned funding sites by describing eactly what they want
to implement, how much time will it take and how much funding they
need for this, etc.

This simple feature voting system (without payment processing)
is easier to implement on the FSF side, so it's more likely we have
something useful working quickly.

BTW, why not use Google Moderator for this kind of feature voting?
It does exactly this after all: people send in submissions and
other people can vote for the submissions:

https://sites.google.com/site/moderatorhelpcenter/getting-started/guide