Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Change in rmail-insert-mime-forwarded-message
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 11:43:15 -0500

        (1) forward the exact original message with all formatting and
        attachments included.  That pretty much has to be done via an
        RFC822(sp?) attachment of the original message as received.  As noted by
        bug #9766, some email clients are unable to display such attachments.

        (2) include the text seen by the Rmail user at the time forward is
        called.

Both of these were possible before your change.
The first was done with v f
and the second with plain f.

        I do not think we should use RFC822(?) message attachments for
        this: I haven't read all the relevant RFC's, but I assume the
        destination email client will attempt to display an RFC822(sp?) message
        attachment as if it was a separately received message.

f always puts the forwarded message into mime attachment, and there is
no problem in this case.  The message _as displayed in rmail_ does not
contain mime part headers.  It has things like this

    [1:text/plain Hide]

instead.

                                                                E.g., deal with
        its in-line multipart alternative parts appropriately, etc.  If you
        attach an invalid message (e.g., bad MIME headers), I would expect the
        recipient to see garbage or an error message for the message attachment.

The problem would never happen when sending the message as
mime-processed by Rmail.

        (3) A smarter version of (2) that both makes the original message
        body visible to the destination client even for clients that don't
        handle RFC message attachments

I can't make concrete sense of that, sorry.

        At the moment, in the absence of availability of (3), I use (1) for
    forward and use resend message to deal with people with limited mailers.
    I don't think (2) is a reasonable default because it drops attachments,
    formatting, and doesn't work for HTML-only messages.

With your change, only (1) is possible.  I think (2) is the right
default, but in any case, it is better to have both options.

So I think I will revert your change.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation