Re: About the web pages repository

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: About the web pages repository
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 12:22:28 +0200

() xfq <address@hidden>
() Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:49:34 +0800

   Why is the web pages repo of Emacs still using CVS?  I cannot find
   the original post for this decision, and I know commits to the web
   pages repo are less often than the sources repo.  But I think it is
   more convenient and maintainable to use one VCS for a project
   (Emacs).

The web paegs for all GNU packagess are currently maintained w/ CVS.
Emacs is not special, here.

On my (tertiary) TODO list is asking for (read-only) access to the web
server in order to document the current maintenance (creation, update)
protocol in the form of a tarball (of scripts) + .texi, for offline
analysis, redesign, and testing.  The goal is to raise the protocol's
abstractions and expose a simple configuration item (to savannah) so
that each project's maintainers could choose the VCS for its web pages,
much as they can currently choose the VCS for its source code.

Maybe someone else w/ more time and expertise (in web stuff) can do this
job before me; i for one certainly would not mind (hint hint).

Once that is in place, we can commence Emacs-specific (i.e., multi-year,
circular, exhausting) discussion on which VCS to use for the web pages,
maybe.

--
Thien-Thi Nguyen
GPG key: 4C807502