Re: About the web pages repository

From: chad
Subject: Re: About the web pages repository
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 11:38:54 -0700

On 21 Apr 2013, at 11:28, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

> chad wrote:
>
>> Is there data to support the idea that Savannah would like to *move
>> to* (not *add*) some DVCS for this purpose?
>
> RTFL:

Thank you; I was having trouble finding TFL.

> [...] What's desirable is to support git (or other things -- not
>  everyone likes git, really) *as well as* cvs.

While this might seem obvious in the "..and I'd like a pony" sense,
it's not obvious to me that people want to continue dealing with
the aches and pains of maintaining CVS repositories. To quote the
message to which I was replying:

On 21 Apr 2013, at 02:02, Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden> wrote:

> The argument that the sysadmins don't have time actually supports this
> effort -- i imagine (w/o data except for personal interactions re the
> projects i admin) a non-trivial portion of the time-consuming tasks is
> spent on fixing CVS-related weirdness.  It's empathy for the sysadmins
> that spurs me to speak up, actually -- i remember my experiences having
> to admin CVS repos (for others) w/ distinct distaste.  Max unfun.

This suggests a potential world in which `as well as cvs' isn't
necessarily desired (which matches my own experience).

Thanks for the pointer, though; it's very helpful. (bug-gnulib?  huh.)

~Chad