Re: How to restore the layout?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2013 19:55:35 +0200

On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM, martin rudalics <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm still uncertain what would be best.

OK So do I.

> I'd vote for one basic option called `desktop-restore-frames' because
> I'd probably always save windows and frames (virtually everything that
> could be useful) and leave it to the restoration routine to decide
> whether and which items shall be restored.  This option should be
> boolean in order to not confuse users too much and I would probably turn
> it on by default.

Agreed.

> Other options should be added when we see that we need them.  Two
> candidates we have discussed so far are what I would call
> `desktop-restore-frame-positions' where possible values are to do that
> as accurately as possible (with the potential for failure) and less
> accurately, leaving the decision mainly to the window manager.  The
> other option would be something like `desktop-restore-frame-displays' to
> specify whether we should try to restore frames on multiple monitors and
> the like.

I still don't see much use for desktop-restore-frame-positions. On one
hand, if you s&r in the same display (which I naïvely assume is the
most common use case), positions and sizes are preserved and removing
that info to let the window manager do its thing is a bit strange,
and, as discussed before, it could fail for some frame configurations
with small windows. On the other hand, if you restore in a different
display, or a different monitor size, that's a problem that we should
try to solve, even if only partially, regardless of any user option
setting... desktop-restore-frame-displays makes more sense because
there are already users who prefer it that way (like Stefan).

   Juanma