Re: Default behaviour of RET.

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: Default behaviour of RET.
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 22:53:43 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Rustom Mody <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM, Drew Adams <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> The days when keyboards had an LFD key that produced C-j are long
>>> gone.  Nowadays, keyboards have only the RET key, and users expect
>>> it to indent in programming modes, at least by default.  As things
>>> are now, I need to customize every programming mode I use to do that.
> >
> > You do?  You can't use `C-j'?

> RET is one keystroke; C-j is two

To me, C-j is easier to type than RET.  I can type C-j
without moving my palms from the home position (my left
little finger can type Ctrl-key (next to 'A') without moving
the left palm.  But, as there are one or two keys between
':' (the home position of the right little finter) and RET
key, I have to move my right palm to type RET.

Of course, I can use C-m instead of RET, but still C-j is
easier.

By the way, users expecting RET to indent don't expect C-f
and M-f to move cursor.  They will keep on using arrow keys
or mouse to navigate a buffer.  But I believe C-f/M-f and
etc. are far more convenient, and recommend users to use
them.  How one feels about C-j may change when he/she is
accustomed to, for instance, all the basic key bindings
shown in TUTORIAL.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden