Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info mus

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Have you all gone crazy? Was: On being web-friendly and why info must die
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 17:39:18 +0200

> From: Tom <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2014 13:30:12 +0000 (UTC)
>
> experienced users know where to look in the manual

That's profoundly false, except for people with phenomenal memory.
Each of the two main manuals prints in many hundreds of pages, to say
nothing about the auxiliary manuals we have just for Emacs; and then
there are GCC, Binutils, GDB, Texinfo, Make, etc.  It is inhuman to
try to remember where things are in each manual.  And also unneeded,
because we do have indices.

> So the effort of expanding the index to contain more variation
> of terminology is much better spent on improving other areas
> of Emacs instead.

Whenever I improve an index, I do that so the next time I will find
things easier.  So it does help me, and is not wasted effort.  I hope
it will also help others, of course.