Re: Status of multicolor fonts?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Status of multicolor fonts?
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:54:42 +0200

> From: Clément Pit--Claudel <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 13:31:04 -0500
>
> > I'm quite sure you know that Emacs displays character glyphs by
> > drawing the background and foreground separately, and it sets the
> > colors of each one according to the attributes of the current face.
> > How, then, will the full-color image be displayed, if we override
> > the colors it might specify?
>
> We wouldn't override the colors of the image; we would just display it,
> without modifications. The background color of the face is still relevant,
> but the foreground would not be (except for underlines, for example).

I understand the theory, but that's not how the code currently works,
AFAIU.  It will have to be modified to support this.  I also suspect
that some support from the font back-end (a.k.a. "shaping engine")
will be required, perhaps in using special APIs or activating some
special options, in order to get all this working as expected.