Re: Dired: Improve symmetry in mark/unmark commands bound to keys

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Dired: Improve symmetry in mark/unmark commands bound to keys
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:02:28 +0300

> From: Tino Calancha <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2016 18:23:08 +0900 (JST)
> cc: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden, address@hidden,
>     Emacs developers <address@hidden>
>
> There is only one sensical thing to do in such situation: I am with
> Andreas and Drew on this, it should _unmark_.

As I wrote elsewhere in this thread, I'm okay with making
dired-mark-extension unmark as well, provided that doing so does not
eliminate the possibility to specify the marker character
interactively.  We could use something similar to what "C-x C-s" does
with various forms of the prefix argument, to have the argument
control the command one way or the other.  Or any other idea, if there
are better ones.

That sounds to me like a compromise solution that should leave
everybody at least partially happy, no?