Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] feature/integrated-elpa 4f6df43 15/23: README added
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2016 15:02:44 +0100

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Sometimes change[s] that I am not in favor of need to be made, or
>> > at least some think that they need to be made.  So far, I don't see
>> > why a change in where Emacs Lisp files are stored (distributed) is
>> > needed.
>>
>> I think I have explained my reasoning here.
>
> I must have missed it.  What is the reason?  Why is this needed?
>
> If a proposed automatic use of package.el is _transparent_ to
> users then that should include meaning that the Lisp libraries
> it puts in place are put in place under .../lisp/, just as now.
>
> It could be OK to add another subdir of .../lisp/ for some new
> stuff that we really do not think logically belongs either
> directly in .../lisp/ itself or under any of its existing subdirs.
>
> But such a case would likely be (and should be) exceptional.
> Usually, when a new library is added, it fits in one of the
> existing subdirs well enough.

Simply because my proposed usage of package.el would use it to build the
packages, and these have a different structure and build from the files
in the lisp.

Anyway, your point about grepping is valid. I can and will move the
packages directory that I am proposing from top-level to lisp. If
grepping all lisp files is the issue, then this will solve that problem.

Phil