Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: In support of Jonas Bernoulli's Magit
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 19:03:02 -0400

  > I'm afraid that you guys are missing the point. This has no relation
  > with the maintainer of Magit, but with the fact that Magit cannot be
  > distributed with Emacs.

You've hit the nail on the head.  I am not saying anything either good
or bad about Magit as such, because that's not the issue here.

We have a problem in Emacs: it doesn't contain a good interface to
git.  People often recommend something that is not in Emacs.  That's
not a good situation.  I want to fix it.

In principle, we could fix it with Magit.  I would be very glad if we
did.  That would require tracking down lots of people and convincing
them to sign the legal papers, and maybe replacing some pieces of code
whose authors didn't sign.

A year ago, more or less, I asked people if we could do this and I was
told it was impossible.

If we don't fix it with Magit, we need something else to fix it with.
So I asked people to build a suitable something else.

However, if there is now a real possibility of putting Magit into
Emacs, of course I would like to do it that way.

--
Dr Richard Stallman