Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Repla

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: [SUSPECTED SPAM] Re: [Emacs-diffs] scratch/widen-less a4ba846: Replace prog-widen with consolidating widen calls
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2017 23:50:29 +0200

On 12/4/17 9:53 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Zero is not the intention: for the doc changes to be valid, we need to
add a few `widen` calls in places like indent-according-to-mode.
If those calls are conditioned on MMM actually being active, then
existing behavior will remain unchanged, and we are good.

How do you propose we detect when MMM is active?

I don't know (didn't look at its sources close enough), but I'd be
surprised if there wasn't some variable or some other method to tell.

I'm sorry, but this is some nonsense you are discussing.

The change in question fixes an old problem, namely: some major modes perform indentation while taking the whole buffer into account, and some only look at the current restriction (which would be a bug, but nobody has reported it yet in those cases, apparently because there is some correlation between users of C and Python, and users of interactive narrowing).

So the fix makes *all* indentation code take into account the whole buffer, even when interactive narrowing is in place. Unless mmm-mode, on something like it, applies an extra restriction through its custom indent-line-function.

That part of the change seems obviously correct to me, no need to predicate it on mmm-mode being active.