Re: [O] setting local variables

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] setting local variables
Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2017 09:33:53 -0700

> Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I could not get it to work.  I tried stuff like "[[(org) Tables]]",
>> "[[*(org) Tables]]" and , [[texinfo:(org) tables]].
>
> You are talking about a special case for cross-referencing (which could
> include internal reference, URL referencess). This is the job of
> "org-info.el":
>
>   [[info:org#tables]]

I think I ran into trouble just doing a simple `org-store-link' from an
Info file, then `org-insert-link' in the Org mode manual.

That produced:

[[info:org#Installation][info:org#Installation]] -->
@ref{Installation,@ref{Installation,,,org,},,org,} -->
*note *note (org)Installation::: (org)Installation.

Of course, I should have edited the description part of the link:

[[info:org#Installation][Installation]] -->
@ref{Installation,Installation,,org,} -->
*note Installation(org).

Much better.

I did once manage to produce a link that didn't follow to its
destination, I think just using org-store|insert-link, but of course now
can't reproduce.

Anyway, I don't know if the above is actually a bug or not.

[...]

>> That is why I asked for a reference as I do not remember having seen such
>> a layout in an info page.  If we know of an example, it might not be hard
>> to implement.
>
> The problem is not implementing it, really. It is about finding a way to
> integrate it with Org syntax.
>
> "org.texi" uses a lot of "@subheading" and related. See for example
>
>   (info "(org) Installation")
>
> "Using Emacs packaging system", "Downloading Org as an archive" and
> "Using Org's git repository" are three examples of such layout.

Why not just change the behavior of `org-export-headline-levels' for
texinfo output? We can already make plain lists, it doesn't seem useful
to me to also turn minor headings into lists. Since texinfo has the
concept of pages, why not just inline headings below H: level?

[...]

> The manual is not targeted to Texinfo experts. The difference between
> @ref arguments are subtle. At this point, I suggest to generate some
> template with Org and tweak the result.

I agree that Org doesn't need to support all the subtleties, but I did
find the out-of-the-box `org-store|insert-link' pretty confusing.

[...]

> IMO, advanced marking is not needed, at least out of the box. For
> example, @address@hidden in Texinfo is morally equivalent to
> ~M-<TAB>~ in Org, as long as the document targets info.

Morally equivalent in that they're typeset the same, right? I decided to
embrace texinfo pedantry and make a kbd macro :)

> Patch welcome!
>
> Also, two emphasis markers are unused in "ox-texinfo.el": _..._ and
> +...+. Another solution would be to use them for Texinfo special markup.
> However, it feels awkward to provide this by default.

I'd be happy to provide a patch, and I think we should mention
`org-texinfo-text-markup-alist', as well. Then we can say "here's how
Org's basic markup elements are translated, here's a defcustom you can
play with, and failing that you can also make a macro".

To be honest I don't know how the markup alist is supposed to work,
though. If I mark up a phrase /like so/, shouldn't that count as
"italic", and get transformed into @emph{like so}? Right now it goes
through unchanged into the Info file, which doesn't seem right, since
the Texinfo manual seems to indicate that _this_ is the proper way to do
emphasis.

The other thing I'd like to expand is the "Plain lists in Texinfo
export" section. First of all, it's about definition lists, not plain
lists, which I found confusing. Also, I think it just needs to have more
basic information in it, unless you already know texinfo well, it's hard
to know what it's telling you.

Eric