Re: [O] Insert heading above current one

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] Insert heading above current one
Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2017 09:29:20 +0200

Hello,

Luciano Passuello <address@hidden> writes:

> I also think the earlier behavior made more sense.

Then we have to agree to disagree, I guess.

> The variable
> org-insert-heading-respect-content (or the universal argument)
> controls how a new headline is inserted BELOW the current header
> (either add immediately after the current line or down below). I don't
> see how this variable should alter the behavior of adding a heading
> ABOVE the current header (ie. "respecting content" or not has no
> effect here, above is always above).

Quoting `org-insert-heading-respect-content':

  Non-nil means insert new headings after the current subtree.

I see no exception there. Consequently, both C-u M-RET and C-RET insert
new heading after the current subtree. If you want to insert it before
current header, use M-RET. There is no feature lost.

OTOH, if we force the previous behaviour, as you suggest, there is no
way to insert a new headline after the current subtree when point is at
the beginning of a headline. A feature is lost.

> You have a good point. Looking this way, the
> org-insert-heading-respect-content variable is indeed of little use.
> But since the variable does exist (even though perhaps it should be
> deprecated?), it should behave correctly.

It does behave correctly, since it obeys its docstring.

And I agree it should be deprecated. If there is no objection, I'll
remove it.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou