[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 21:56:31 +0800

"Charles Phlip Chan" <address@hidden> writes:

> Damn you sacha, first you got me hooked to emacs-wiki/planner-mode and
> now Gnus for mail as well as news. You will be receiving a bill for my
> addiction treatment. ;-)

I'm glad to hear that! =)

> Anyway here are a few bugs that I discovered:

Thanks for your feedback. Hope these fixes help!

> (1) Planner-cyclic is incompatable with both planner-notes-index and
>     bbdb-anniversary.
>     Here is the output for bbdb-anniversary-
>  Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>   regexp-quote(nil)
>   planner-find-task(nil)
>   planner-cyclic-create-task-maybe("2004.04.20" "Birthday: Philip Chan
> (74th)")
>   #[(task-string) "   .0 Pro.

Are you using a planner-cyclic-diary-file that contains non-tasks?
Please don't do that. =) I've added a check to make sure that the task
string looks like a task, though, so we should have fewer problems
with this in the future.

* committed address@hidden/planner--dev--1.0--patch-44
    Bugfix: planner-cyclic error checking

> (2) After exiting a bbdb buffer that was followed from a bbdb link, it
>     would invoke brower-url. This is very annoying. Gnus links are
>     fine.

* committed address@hidden/planner--dev--1.0--patch-42
    Bugfix: return t all the time in browse-url functions

> (3) I haven't try to goto a plan page from the calendar in a long
>     time, but now it shows up in the calendar window itself. I do have
>     planner-use-other-window set to t.

* committed address@hidden/planner--dev--1.0--patch-43
    Obey command passed to planner-find-file

> (4) The diary section of the published web page looks horrible-
>     everything is concanted to one line. Cal-desk entries are even
>     worst due to the tables code.

Hmm, planner-cyclic just inserts whatever's there, so be careful about
your diary sections. Format them as you would normal emacs-wiki
sections by using | between columns.

> (1) Category and topic support in notes will great. I know there is
>     planner-notes but it doesn't work too well. It would be nice to be
>     able to generate a buffer with all notes in a category or topic
>     with links back to the originating page. It would also be nice to
>     be able to goto the previous or next notes with the same
>     topic. This is kind of like journal-mode

Ahhh. Might be a good idea to associate your notes with plan pages.
That's essentially what the topics were for.

If you want multiple categories, you could use the keyword-matching of
M-x planner-search-notes . It's a lot more flexible.

> (2) planner-bibl would be nice.

As I don't use bibl a lot, could you tell me what it would be like?

> (3) An alist of associated programs and file extensions to open file
>     links would be nice. Maybe we can just use mailcap entries?

I hesitate to reinvent this particular wheel. Is there a library I can
just include?

> (4) I think planner-index should should use #title for the link
> names if it is defined on the wiki page.

See emacs-wiki-index-title-threshold. Michal Maruska's idea: include
#title in the wiki index. =)

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun