Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests

From: Jody Klymak
Subject: Re: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Some bugs and feature requests
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:32:25 -0700

Sacha Chua <address@hidden> writes:

> Jody Klymak <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> However, making a remember-to-journal function that remembers to 1)
>> the daily page, 2) a plan page (optional) and 3) a journal page
>> would not be that hard an extension of the remember-planner
>> functions that are there now.
>
> So, essentially, we should just make it easy to hook, and then post
> everyone's hooks on the Net. =)
>
> What's a nice way of improving the current hook system? Maybe someone
> can write the aforementioned copy-to-journal-page hook and report any
> snags.

Umm, yeah, OK, you're right.  It looks like its pretty easy to copy
remember-planner-add-xref and make a remember-planner-running-journal.

>> In that case there would need to be a way of specifying the
>> hierarchy on the pages. Or in a lookup table somewhere. Using Gary's
>> method the hierarchy is specified with subdirectories, which is kind
>> of nice.
>
> #parent directives? We'll need to scan the files, so this is a
> performance hit similar to including titles in the index... (a bit
> more, actually, as we'd also have to come up with the tree).
>
> #path directives? Refer to a page as FooBar, but have inside it a path
> foo/FooBar directive?

Sure.  Or maybe #topic, or #index would be more natural sounding?
i.e. you can imagine lots of uses that have nothing to do with a
"path".

#topic: programing/emacs/planner
#topic: work/productivity

You could imagine an index like Gary's sidebar arising out of this.
You could cross-reference an "note" to more than one topic, which
some people seem to want.

However, I'm curious what the advantage of a flat directory structure
is?  It seems easier to deal with a nested structure then to implement
the ideas above.

Not that I'm really pushing hard for this.  I'm very happy with
planner as-is!  You have done a great job.

Thanks,  Jody

--
Jody Klymak      http://opg1.ucsd.edu/~jklymak/
mailto:address@hidden