[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Use models (eas Re: emas-wiki, blosxom, and oth

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: Use models (eas Re: emas-wiki, blosxom, and other stuff
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 15:15:24 +0800

TC <address@hidden> writes:

> I'd be interested in hearing about others' "use models" for
> emacs-wiki, planner, remember, and blosxom. I've used the first
> three in the past,but have started from scratch again, dropping
> planner and trying out blosxom until I get used to it.

I'd really love to hear that, too! =)

> Is that the intended default use? *Is* there such a thing?

I doubt there's an intended default use. <muses> Or if there was, it's
gotten kinda lost. You could, for example, use planner just as a way
of having date-specific text files. Nothing forces you to use it for
your TODO list or notes. =)

> And Sacha, what *on earth* do you do? You've got php in there, and
> style sheets, and self-modifying python for all I know :-)

No python, but that's probably because Emacs Lisp handles all of that.

I have Lisp code that generates PHP for my dynamic calendar. Not the
best of approaches, but acceptable. Must be _very_ careful about
writing code like that, as it's heck to debug. The style sheets just
make it look the way I want. Aside from that, it's a pretty normal
planner minus a lot of features. For example, I turned off task
renumbering, note renumbering, and automatic task ID updates, as I
realized that I didn't need them automatically done for me and I could
always invoke the right methods when I want.

I use planner and remember to blog stuff I need to keep track of. My
thoughts on planner can be found at
http://sacha.free.net.ph/PlannerMode.php . =)

Perhaps we can put our stories up on http://www.emacswiki.org? Link to
it from http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode, I guess. =)
--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - Ateneo CS faculty geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, making computer science education fun