[emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sachawiki: Welcome Page

From: Sacha Chua
Subject: [emacs-wiki-discuss] Re: sachawiki: Welcome Page
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:57:45 -0400

"Richi's server" <address@hidden> writes:

Hello, Joel!

Sorry about the late reply! You could try e-mailing the mailing list
at address@hidden
usually jump in with answers pretty quickly. =) If you prefer to use
Gmane (a mailing list->NNTP/blog gateway), check out
http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.wiki.general .

> First, I'd like to thank you for your great work with planner. I
> *plan* to use it to help me organize my life...

Thank you for trying it out! Stop planning to use it to organize your
life; just jump right into it and we'll help you sort out your life
over time... =)

> I should also confess that I've copied your configuration and I
> managed to get things working and looking like your published pages
> look.

Ooh, nifty! =)

> 1. when i change .header or something global, i'd like to re-publish
> all my pages. Is this possible?

You can call C-u M-x emacs-wiki-publish to republish all files, but if
an error occurs halfway through, there's no easy way to resume just
from that point. That's why I usually delete all the HTML files (PHP
in my case) and then call M-x emacs-wiki-publish. If an error turns
up, I fix it and call M-x emacs-wiki-publish again.

(I'm going to quote the next long bit just in case other people have
useful insights.)
> 2. i use planner at work under windows primarily to document my work
> as a programmer. once i've made a series of tasks and taken notes
> from the tasks, planner helps me create documentation as i do my
> work. (this is really super). i often create links to documents or
> code that pertains to the project; however, these links are not in
> the plans directory nor in camelcase. often it's simply a link to a
> fortran 90 or sas file. i'd like to be able to write into these
> non-wiki files certain lisp statements (which are commented in
> fortran or sas) or something that indicates to planner that i just
> want a certain snipet to appear in the emacs-wiki page. do you think
> planner is able to accomodate something like that? my idea is to
> create documentation for the code in words and then have a link to
> the specific code that gets that job done. when the code changes the
> page will be automatically updated...

You can link to anything by using [[/path/to/file]]. Do you want to be
able to visit links and run Lisp code from non-planner and
non-emacs-wiki pages? You might be interested in eev, another nifty
Emacs mode for doing stuff like that.

> 3. for some reason my setup keeps the .txt extension when forming
> the automatic links between notes and tasks and tasks and TaskPool.
> in planner mode the links work, but when they are published the
> links point to TaskPool.txt.php which can't be found. I've looked
> around and I don't know how to correct that. maybe while pruning
> down your things i chopped something out that handles this???

You can sneak around that with
(add-to-list 'emacs-wiki-publishing-transforms '(".txt.php$" . ".php"))

> 4. i'd also like to know if planner could create a popup calendar
> but instead of refering to the diary it would provide
> emacs-wiki-links to other daily planner pages...

Add (planner-calendar-insinuate) to your ~/.emacs, then use n to go to
a calendar page and N to just show it.

> /notebook/xml/foaf.rdf

You probably don't need this one.

> I got confused between my /notebook/wiki/ and /public_html/notebook/wiki

Oh, that's because they're the same thing. <sheepish grin> My
directory structure is a bit weird because most of my data lives in
public_html/notebook/*, but since that's too long to type, I symlinked
~/notebook to it.

--
Sacha Chua <address@hidden> - open source geekette
interests: emacs, gnu/linux, personal information management, juggling