Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 23:12:25 +0200

On 08/01/2012 03:31 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
David:

I am not able to run the test on my 450 megahertz (Xubuntu 12.04) system.

Although your build process seemed to work okay, and no errors were
reported, it has changed my system to where qjackctl crashes every time
I try to run it.  I have listings of all the retrieval & build steps, if
that would be helpful in determining the problem.

QJackCtl has no direct dependency on FluidSynth, so in addition to Stefan Sauer's instructions (please follow them), I have another theory:

Have you been copying .so files around earlier? If so, maybe the "sudo ldconfig" had an unexpected side effect, so the output of "ldd /usr/bin/qjackctl.real" could be interesting.

What error messages do you get?

Qsynth, on that system, is configured to use jack, and it reports that
jack is not there, and that it can't continue without it.  At that
point, I can click the "Setup" button on Qsynth, and change the audio to
PulseAudio, but after hitting the OK button, Qsynth exits, and when I
restart it, it again reports that it cannot run because jack is not
running.

I did not find any ".qsynth" or ".fluidsynth" folder to change the
configuration manually.

I tried re-installing qjackctl, but that did not make any difference.
Qjackctl still crashes.  In the past, I have not been able to figure out
how to run fluidsynth from the command line successfully.  If I could, I
could possibly run fluidsynth that way.

I know to all of you, running fluidsynth from the command line is easy
and natural, but using a GUI application (Qsynth) is difficult.  For me,
it is the exact opposite.

Right, so this is part of why your use cases are important testing contributions, and we want fluidsynth to work both from the command line and behind GUIs.

// David