Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 23:45:58 -0600

David:

I ran the test on a partition I was planning on replacing (to minimize risk to my other testing).

A side-effect of that decision, is that it was done on a non-updated system.  In fact, the crash-report generated for it, indicated it wasn't reportable because of an obsolete version of libasound.so (or something like that).

I didn't update it because updates on a 450 megahertz machine take a lot of time, and I was going to replace the partition anyway.

It seemed to me (as I watched the build process) that it was complaining about jackd1 vs. jackd2.  But when I went to get the listings of the build process, the file (written by abiword, which also had significant problems in this release) had somehow been garbled, and could not be read by Libre Office - so I lost my build listings!

I am pretty sure the build process was what caused problems for qjackctl, because I only use that machine for testing, and the last thing I (most likely) did on it was the same test I was trying to run with the new fluidsynth.  I'm sure it was successful before, because I always run those tests on new systems.

I did not manually copy any '.so' files.

Here is what I was able to collect of the problem:

address@hidden:~$ gdb qjackctl
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2) 7.4-2012.04
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-linux-gnu".
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
"/usr/bin/qjackctl": not in executable format: File format not recognized
(gdb)

FROM QJACKCTL MESSAGES:

12:37:43.266 Patchbay deactivated.
12:37:43.361 Statistics reset.
12:37:43.659 ALSA connection change.
12:37:43.751 D-BUS: Service not available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
12:37:43.828 JACK is starting...
12:37:43.831 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
12:37:43.905 ALSA connection graph change.
12:37:43.908 JACK was started with PID=1670.
jackd 0.121.2
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
12:37:48.293 Server configuration saved to "/home/aere/.jackdrc".
12:37:48.325 Statistics reset.
12:38:06.453 Client activated.
cannot read result for request type 6 from server (Connection reset by peer)
cannot read server event (Success)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)

FROM CRASH REPORT (COPIED BY HAND):

jackd crashed with signal 7 in pa_shm_create_rw

StacktraceTop
pa_shm_create_rw() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulsecommon-1.1.so
pa_mempool_new() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulsecommon-1.1.so
pa_context_new_with_proplist() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0
pa_context_new() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0
conf_pulse_hook_load_if_running() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

obsolete package version installed
libasound2

FROM QJACKCTL MESSAGES:

13:03:28.137 Patchbay deactivated.
13:03:28.325 Statistics reset.
13:03:28.656 ALSA connection change.
13:03:28.919 D-BUS: Service not available (org.jackaudio.service aka jackdbus).
13:03:29.065 JACK is starting...
13:03:29.068 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
13:03:29.123 ALSA connection graph change.
13:03:29.126 JACK was started with PID=2087.
jackd 0.121.2
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
13:03:37.197 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall operation failed. - Server communication error. Please check the messages window for more info.
could not attach as JACK client (server has exited)
13:03:38.107 JACK was stopped successfully.
13:03:38.132 JACK has crashed.

I must caution you in looking at the stacktrace information, that I was unable to cut-and-paste the information from the crash report, but had to copy it by hand, a character at a time.

I will look at it again tomorrow, using your other suggestion.

Please be aware that I consider the testing (done on an Ubuntu partition) to have been successful.  I just wanted to find out if the increased overhead causes it to no longer work on my slowest machine.

But since Ubuntu-Studio uses xubuntu, it's probably worth a bit more effort tomorrow.

- Aere

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 23:12 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 08/01/2012 03:31 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
> David:
>
> I am not able to run the test on my 450 megahertz (Xubuntu 12.04) system.
>
> Although your build process seemed to work okay, and no errors were
> reported, it has changed my system to where qjackctl crashes every time
> I try to run it.  I have listings of all the retrieval & build steps, if
> that would be helpful in determining the problem.

QJackCtl has no direct dependency on FluidSynth, so in addition to
Stefan Sauer's instructions (please follow them), I have another theory:

Have you been copying .so files around earlier? If so, maybe the "sudo
ldconfig" had an unexpected side effect, so the output of "ldd
/usr/bin/qjackctl.real" could be interesting.

What error messages do you get?

> Qsynth, on that system, is configured to use jack, and it reports that
> jack is not there, and that it can't continue without it.  At that
> point, I can click the "Setup" button on Qsynth, and change the audio to
> PulseAudio, but after hitting the OK button, Qsynth exits, and when I
> restart it, it again reports that it cannot run because jack is not
> running.
>
> I did not find any ".qsynth" or ".fluidsynth" folder to change the
> configuration manually.
>
> I tried re-installing qjackctl, but that did not make any difference.
> Qjackctl still crashes.  In the past, I have not been able to figure out
> how to run fluidsynth from the command line successfully.  If I could, I
> could possibly run fluidsynth that way.
>
> I know to all of you, running fluidsynth from the command line is easy
> and natural, but using a GUI application (Qsynth) is difficult.  For me,
> it is the exact opposite.

Right, so this is part of why your use cases are important testing
contributions, and we want fluidsynth to work both from the command line
and behind GUIs.

// David

--

Sincerely,