Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 13:56:13 -0600

David, and all:

Sorry about the Star Trek quote, but "You truly are a miricle-worker!"

The release-candidate fluidsynth played my two test pieces on my 455 megahertz machine without error.

I followed your instructions, re-configuring and re-building fluidsynth (and re-installing).

At first the build aborted, needing some jackd libraries I had removed to allow qjackctl to run.

But I re-did the build dependencies, and the build went okay.

I re-installed, and did the test you gave me to see that the new version was in-place (it was).

Again, qjackctl would not run (it crashed, as before).

I completely removed jackd, jackd2, and qjackctl.

I then re-installed jackd, jackd1 (I asked for it specifically, since that is what fluidsynth seems to prefer), and qjackctl.

But this time, qjackctl still failed to initialize, but with a different error symptom.

I completely removed jackd, jackd1, and qjackctl, and re-installed jackd, jackd2, and qjackctl.  This time, it required the removal of libjack-0 and libjack-dev.

But this time, qjackctl did succeed in initializing.

I ran the tests, with results as follows:

Ran test 1 "Impromptu 2 - Sunlight on the Water":
Played perfectly - no under-runs.  Qjackctl RT-percentage hovering at 67%.

Ran test 2 "Impromptu - Forest Breezes":
Played perfectly - no under-runs.  Qjackctl RT-percentage hovering at 68%.

Re-ran test 2, but with the reverb check-box of Qsynth selected.
Played most of the way through perfectly, but got a single under-run about 3/4 the way through.
Qjackctl RT-percentage hovering at 83%.

TEST CONCLUSIONS:

The testing was successful with the release-candidate fluidsynth, on a 455 megahertz machine running Xubuntu 12.04.

Where it has been stated that there are no fluidsynth dependencies on jack, I think you should re-examine that claim, based on the problems I encountered.

This time, I have all of my build listings, as well as a log of the many problems I had to work through to get qjackctl to work.

Please examine the attached text file, as an aid in determining if there really is a jack dependency in fluidsynth.

Sincerely,
Aere

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 19:04 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 08/03/2012 03:39 PM, S. Christian Collins wrote:
> Even on my Intel Core i7 (2.8 GHz quad-core) I am able to get Fluidsynth
> to cause xruns when playing really fast on a stereo piano sound that I
> have (voice polyphony at 256).

After some searching I believe I found what causes the performance to drop.

I've just committed a patch that sets the default build type to
RelWithDebInfo (if someone prefers another default, let me know).

As a test, could you rerun with the -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo,
so that the build now looks like the below, and see if it improves
performance? Thanks!

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DLIB_SUFFIX= -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

// David