Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: David Henningsson
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 17:55:37 +0200

On 08/02/2012 07:45 AM, Aere Greenway wrote:
David:

I ran the test on a partition I was planning on replacing (to minimize
risk to my other testing).

A side-effect of that decision, is that it was done on a non-updated
system.  In fact, the crash-report generated for it, indicated it wasn't
reportable because of an obsolete version of libasound.so (or something
like that).

I didn't update it because updates on a 450 megahertz machine take a lot
of time, and I was going to replace the partition anyway.

It seemed to me (as I watched the build process) that it was complaining
about jackd1 vs. jackd2.

Please verify that you're still running the jack version you expect. If the build process switched jack version for you, you can switch it back (just install the right version again). This is just because the development package is not switching as well as the library package in Debian. FluidSynth can run against either version.

But when I went to get the listings of the
build process, the file (written by abiword, which also had significant
problems in this release) had somehow been garbled, and could not be
read by Libre Office - so I lost my build listings!

I am pretty sure the build process was what caused problems for
qjackctl, because I only use that machine for testing, and the last
thing I (most likely) did on it was the same test I was trying to run
with the new fluidsynth.  I'm sure it was successful before, because I
always run those tests on new systems.

I did not manually copy any '.so' files.

Here is what I was able to collect of the problem:

address@hidden <mailto:address@hidden>:~$ gdb qjackctl
GNU gdb (Ubuntu/Linaro 7.4-2012.04-0ubuntu2) 7.4-2012.04
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-linux-gnu".
<http://bugs.launchpad.net/gdb-linaro/>...
"/usr/bin/qjackctl": not in executable format: File format not recognized

Hrm, next time instead run "gdb /usr/lib/qjackctl/qjackctl.real", as qjackctl is a wrapper script. :-/

(gdb)

FROM QJACKCTL MESSAGES:

12:37:43.266 Patchbay deactivated.
12:37:43.361 Statistics reset.
12:37:43.659 ALSA connection change.
12:37:43.751 D-BUS: Service not available (org.jackaudio.service aka
jackdbus).
12:37:43.828 JACK is starting...
12:37:43.831 /usr/bin/jackd -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p1024 -n2
12:37:43.905 ALSA connection graph change.
12:37:43.908 JACK was started with PID=1670.
jackd 0.121.2
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 44100
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|44100|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
12:37:48.293 Server configuration saved to "/home/aere/.jackdrc".
12:37:48.325 Statistics reset.
12:38:06.453 Client activated.
cannot read result for request type 6 from server (Connection reset by peer)
cannot read server event (Success)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)
cannot continue execution of the processing graph (Bad file descriptor)

FROM CRASH REPORT (COPIED BY HAND):

A tip could be to take a photo with a digital camera / phone instead of hand-copying - it's up to you what you find simplest.

jackd crashed with signal 7 in pa_shm_create_rw

StacktraceTop
pa_shm_create_rw() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulsecommon-1.1.so
pa_mempool_new() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulsecommon-1.1.so
pa_context_new_with_proplist() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0
pa_context_new() from /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse.so.0
conf_pulse_hook_load_if_running() from
/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so

This is related to alsa-plugins or pulseaudio, not fluidsynth. If upgrading *everything* is hard, you should try upgrading at least all packages beginning with "pulseaudio", "libpulse" or "libasound". I saw a Launchpad bug with the same stack trace, and the bug reporter said it was resolved with an update.

Please be aware that I consider the testing (done on an Ubuntu
partition) to have been successful.  I just wanted to find out if the
increased overhead causes it to no longer work on my slowest machine.

Ok.

// David