Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program

From: Aere Greenway
Subject: Re: [fluid-dev] Proposal: FluidSynth tester program
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2012 14:42:29 -0600

David, and all:

As requested in the e-mail below, I re-ran my tests on an Ubuntu 12.04 partition, on a 2.5 gigahertz machine.

Per your instructions, I re-built, and re-installed the release-candidate fluidsynth, and verified that the newly-generated software was actually being used.

I re-ran the tests, with results as follows:

Ran test 1 (Impromptu 2 - Sunlight on the Water):
Played perfectly - no underruns.  Qjackctl RT-percentage hovering around 18%.

Ran test 2 (Impromptu - Forest Breezes):
Checked the "Chorus" checkbox, to introduce more overhead.
Played perfectly - no underruns.  Qjackctl RT-percentage hovering around 19%.

TEST CONCLUSIONS:

The tests ran successfully on an Ubuntu 12.04 (i386) 2.5 gigahertz unit-processor.  As I recall from the prior testing, there was significantly less real-time load (as displayed by qjackctl).

Given the problems I had getting qjackctl to co-exist with the generated version of fluidsynth, I am puzzled by why I had no problems with my Ubuntu partition.  My guesses why are as follows:

1. I had previously done some testing of a Rosegarden fix, and it has similar dependencies to fluidsynth.  Notably, it wants jackd1 (rather than jackd2, which qjackctl causes to be installed).  All this was in-place and working before I attempted to build fluidsynth.

2. I am using Ubuntu, rather than Xubuntu.

I have attached a text file with my build listings, which you can compare with the similar listings attached to my prior e-mail, allowing you to investigate fluidsynth jack dependencies (or lack thereof).

Sincerely,
Aere

On Sat, 2012-08-04 at 19:04 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
On 08/03/2012 03:39 PM, S. Christian Collins wrote:
> Even on my Intel Core i7 (2.8 GHz quad-core) I am able to get Fluidsynth
> to cause xruns when playing really fast on a stereo piano sound that I
> have (voice polyphony at 256).

After some searching I believe I found what causes the performance to drop.

I've just committed a patch that sets the default build type to
RelWithDebInfo (if someone prefers another default, let me know).

As a test, could you rerun with the -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo,
so that the build now looks like the below, and see if it improves
performance? Thanks!

mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DLIB_SUFFIX= -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

// David