freebangfont-devel

Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Mukti Narrow Updated

From: Anirban Mitra
Subject: Re: [Freebangfont-devel] Re: Mukti Narrow Updated
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:58:58 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Omi Azad <address@hidden> wrote: > Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> >access to Windows right now, so I can't test anything.
> >

> It's WindowsXP and please have a look at the attached picture.
> Both
> Mukti and Likhan is installed but your one is showing in the list
> but
> Mukti is not..
>
> >Anyway, the only thing I remember not happening in older
> versions of Likhan
> >was that Windows didn't automatically recognize it as a bengali
> font --
> >e.g., if you go to IE's Tools -> Internet Options -> Fonts and
> select
> >bengali, Likhan wasn't listed. What is happening with Mukti ?
> >

> I know this issue. I don't know why. Our SolaimanLipi and Rupali
> comes
> in both IE and Desktop, but I don't know why. I think Windows RAG
>
> KORECHE as you didn't made the font using any M$ software :D RAG
> KOMLE
> everything will be alright :)
>
> >What exactly are the arguments against maintaining Mukti Narrow
> using
> >pfaedit ? (And in fact moving the OT lookups into the 'template'
> format ?)
> >pfaedit has a Windows version, BTW, though it needs the cygwin
> >environment.
> >
> Well, there is not arguments. I made some Kerning changes, which
> I have
> mentioned earlier in the list mail. I posted the modified font
> yesterday
> and waiting for your decision.
>
> Omi

Here are my observations:
1. Something broke [don't know what] between transition from
MuktiNarrow 0.92 and 0.94 that it is not accepted as system font in
windows presently. I do not have Xp in my PC but found it in my
friend's PC.
2. I tried to rationalise arrangement of glyphs Mukti Narrow in
template format with cygwin version of PFaEdit. but after that GPOS
lookups are to be redone totally, as they are glyph position
specific. That is going to take a lot of time. So I decided to
postpone the endavour till version 2. Moreover if the latin glyphs
are removed [as in the template made by deepayan], it can not be
used in Windows 98.
-Anirban

Yahoo! India Insurance Special: Be informed on the best policies, services,
tools and more.
Go to: http://in.insurance.yahoo.com/licspecial/index.html