RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:03:29 -0000

David,

there is a further point relating to your question

<<<<<<
I'm actually extremely interested in knowing precisely which C++ facilities
you believe are important here.

Much as it may seem attractive, it is rarely a good idea to use inheritance,
*except* inheritance of, and hence implementation of, an interface class
consisting only of virtual functions. This has been my increasing experience
over all the years I have been designing C++ software. Most relationships
are better implemented as 'has-a', not 'is-a', with a few exceptions in the
area of relatively low-level structure-like classes.

I must stress that I am not saying this purely theoretically. It is the
result of practical experience from projects including, most prominently,
the new TAGMA text layout system for the Symbian platform.

Best regards,

Graham