RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:45:04 -0000

Ed Keith said

<<<<<<
Portability becomes a much more critical issue with C++ since many platforms
don't implement all features of C++, or worse, don't implement them
consistently.

Ed, yes, this is true, but luckily things are improving all the time. I have
had a fair amount of experience in this area working for Symbian, Psion,
Catharon and Slangsoft, all of whom require portable C++ code, and all of
which except Catharon (I think) target PDAs and phones as well as desktop
PCs, and I have found that the sort of C++ I like writing fits most
platforms with no difficulty. I don't use any arcane features except (if you
call it arcane) templates, and I have been forced not to rely on many
standard library features being present.

Graham