RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability

From: Graham Asher
Subject: RE: [Devel] C++ API for FreeType - Portability
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 20:23:24 -0000

Ed Keith said

<<<<<<
Mozilla's C++ Portability Guide* is a good place to start

Ed, one other point:

The Mozilla porting guide at http://mozilla.org/hacking/portable-cpp.html is
an excellent document but rather out of date. I really think the situation
has improved a lot since it was written. For example, it says 'The Visual
C++ 1.5 compiler for windows is really flaky, and putting constructors into
the headers seems to be one of the causes of mysterious internal compiler
errors'. Well, I haven't seen Visual C++ 1.5 since about 1995. (I am on
version 6 and well out of date myself.)

Some rules I agree with:

don't use exceptions
don't use RTTI
don't use namespace
don't put extra top-level semicolons in code (I have *never* seen this in my
life, and I have looked at an awful lot of C++ code - but don't do it.)
don't mix varargs and inline (but who the hell uses varargs - this stuff is
prehistoric, and has no place in libraries like FreeType)
be careful of scoping of variables declared inside for( ... ).

But there is a lot of dross. Let's not get into arguing about this. It can
be sorted out if and when any C++ porting is done.

Graham