Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:04:57 +0000

Hi,

> OK, it's past the weekend, so two questions:
>
> 1. What form for the first organisation?
>         [ ] Unincorporated Association (simple but liable)
>         [ ] Trust (more assured but still fairly lightweight and liable)
>         [ ] Friendly Society (recently opened to us)
>         [ ] Limited Co (well known)
>         [ ] Industrial Provident Soc (more expensive but robust)
>         [ ] Royal Charter (hahahahahaha)
>
> More details at the URL earlier and:
> http://www.ncvo-vol.org.uk/main/about/info/briefings/legal/LegalStructures/VolOrgs.pdf

I'd urge no one to vote without skimming through this very helpful
document.  If you haven't got the time to do that and also don't have
an understanding of the above six options then it may be better not to
vote.

Personally, I'm surprised it's so wide open to a vote since for the
first three, some individuals will be legally liable, whereas with a
company limited by guarantee, for example, the members normally have a
limited liability, e.g. of GBP 1.00.  The mailing list might choose a
form that people are reluctant to stand for posititions on, IYSWIM.

Still, like you said, it can be changed later.

As for finding legal advice, do the FSF legal people know of any
`friendly' UK solicitors that they could suggest?  I know of one that
was an IT contractor before turning to the legal profession, but I
don't know how wide his knowledge of legal structures for a non-profit
organisation is.

Cheers,

Ralph.