Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 00:05:39 +0000

> On Wed, 2001-12-19 at 17:58, Philip Hands wrote:
> > I seem to remember that the reason for rejecting Charity status was
> > something to do with not being able to get involved with politics.
> I think it was twofold - basically, we couldn't be 'just' a charity,
> because we want to be political.

As posted previously, the last shake-up of charity law has introduced new
categories of charity which may be appropriate for us and the political
clauses don't affect.  There would still be restriction, such as not being
able to give money to charity (IIRC), but they are less restrictive than
before.  I'm sorry for going on old information at the Aston meeting (but
only one person had another researched opinion IIRC), but the two-company
kludge probably isn't needed.

What is interesting is that from what Georg said, they are formed as an
analogue to the Friendly Society form.  Is that a better bet for now?

> We ought to setup a separate list as soon as possible

+1

> I'm also of the
> opinion that we ought to get some sort of website up as well, so that
> people at least know we exist.

+1

My primary concern is for us to *do* something.  There is so little time and
so much to do, while it looks like whatever form is realistically an option
for the immediate formation (as I think IPS and RC aren't realistic options)
will be possible to change quite easily.  When can we form?

What do people feel about having a two-part council/trustee setup?
--
MJR