Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:40:16 +0000

Alex:
> Agreed. I was confused by your original vote post, because I wouldn't
> have included I&PS or RC on there for the reasons you give - I thought
> we were talking about where we wanted to end up rather than how we were
> going to get there :)

Please read what is written.  I'm naturally disinclined to exclude valid but
painful options.

> So, I vote we form as a simple FS or something then :) But, I would like
> to see us consider that as very much a first step: perhaps one of our
> first 'group' actions should be to call an EGM of sorts to make the
> final decision, perhaps set a deadline of February or something. But in
> the meantime we can actually be doing things.

If we are setting a deadline to form something more permanent, is it worth
using a FS or one of the smaller unregistered forms which has the specific
aim of forming AFFS Ltd, or is it better to push ahead with that right now
before we get into working parties to set up working parties to form an
association to form the association.

Brian: for us, it looks like charitable status can be added to all of the
possible options.  I was incorrectly thinking that we would be forced into
registering as an educational charity, but there are alternatives we can use
now.

Finally, in case anyone had any doubt about the need for an associate body
*pronto*, there's now an "OpenForum Europe" which wants to push "Open
Source" in the UK.  A cow-orker passed me the URL

We *must* get something in place by year end, I feel, and start making
ourselves known to both the community and all layers of government.
--
MJR