Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Where are we now?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2001 12:34:10 +0000

> I guess this kills an I&PS: [...] "All members must have an equal say in the
> running of the society." [...] We didn't want to be 100% democratic for good
> reasons. An I&PS would enforce that, or am I reading this wrong?

What probably kills I&PS for now is the cost and timescales involved, I
think.  There have been significant changes to the regulations in the years
since I was looking at all this for the Student Press Association.  Also, I
don't think money was so much of a concern there.

> >     [ +10 ] Royal Charter (hahahahahaha)
> Why not? Yes, I know we need another form first and can only do that after
> several years of building a good reputation. But why not as a goal for the
> long term future?

Yes, for the long term, but note this is for the *first* form, so we can get
moving.

> Hmmm... I guess, that leaves me voting for a Friendly Society unless other
> arguments come up.

I'm happy with either trust, friendly or ltd in the first instance, as long
as we have some sort of trustees and council split in the system with roles
clearly defined.  Trustees (maybe all of us?) to act as a "last line of
defence" against a corrupt council, but with very little other powers.
Exact form tbd.
--
MJR