Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 21:07:39 +0000

Hi,

Here's some comments.  They might be rubbish, but I thought you'd like
some feedback.

> code, so software developers do not have to ``re-invent the wheel''.
>  Science

There are these odd \240 characters at the start of some sentances.

> world of Information Technology.  Free Software such as that
> distributed under the GNU public license ensures that people are free
> to make

It's the `GNU General Public Licence'.

> have increased in price.  If licenses have to be paid every year
> using Free Software will result in even greater cost efficiency.

Is a comma needed there?  `every year, using'.

> \item Support for free software is often much better than that for
> proprietary software.

s/than that/than/?  Or `compared to'.

> \item Many thousands of free software projects exist (see the Free
> Software directory at http://www.gnu.org/directory).  Some of the

s#directory#&/#?

> most successful include:
>
> \begin{description} \item [GNU/Linux] an operating system (like
> Microsoft Windows).  \item [KDE, Gnome, GNUstep and XFCE] desktop
> environments (attractive and easy to use interfaces for GNU/Linux).
> \item [StarOffice] a word-processing, spreadsheet and presentation
> package that is compatible with Microsoft Office.  \item [Mozilla] an
> Internet browser that shares code with Netscape.  \item [Apache]
> industry standard software used to run web sites (used by Amazon.com,
> the German government, the FBI in the US, Walmart).  \item [Beowulf]
> for parallel computing (used for climate change simulations, particle
> physics computations and medical drug discovery applications).
> \end{description}
>
> \item Many companies have invested heavily in Free software.  IBM
> has invested over \$2 billion in GNU/Linux, and now sells many of its
> computers from million pound mainframes to laptops with GNU/Linux
> pre-installed.

Should that be `million-pound'?

Cheers,

Ralph.