Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 01:11:41 GMT

Imran Ghory <address@hidden> wrote:
> I doubt many people know about newsgroups (I suspect under 10% of internet
> users), so maybe we shouldn't mention them (Or mention them alongside
> mailing lists and web-bbses).

Yes, all these sources should be mentioned.

> Incidently anyone know if the patent office
> still uses their news server ( news://news.patent.gov.uk/ ) ?

I thought that was shut off shortly after the end of the consultation.

> I think the term "GNU" should be dropped as it just causes confusion, I my
> experience a lot of people who aren't techies but aren't newbies either
> often know what Linux is, but get confused when people say GNU/linux (and
> also often get confused about the different distros).

Sorry, no dice.  Without the GNU software, Linux alone is not much of an
operating system, is it?  Further, if not even a Free Software supporting
group gives the GNU project their credit, what hope is there for anyone else
doing it?  Maybe it is worth pointing out that there are multiple sellers of
GNU/Linux, or maybe not.