Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 19:42:01 GMT

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> Do you consistently refer to XFree86 or do you just say X?  [...]

Ohhhh, I don't do anything consistently.  Usually with that one, I try to
pick the correct word depending on whether I am referring to the particular
implementation (XFree86) or the concept in general (X or X11).  I guess
working on DECs and Suns have influenced me on bits like that.

> At one London Linux show, I ended up reducing "What a distribution
> is" to roughly two sentences, because I was asked it *all the time*.
> And a lot of people were baffled to be told by people on the RH
> stand "We don't support that architecture, but if you go and
> talk to the Debian people.." (or whatever, but typically Debian).
> The confusion was basically: "But they're your competition. Why are
> you recommending your competition?"

Well, we probably need to avoid the false friends, that is true, but I think
seeing a leaflet go out without mentioning GNU would be a shame.  Probably I
was trying to put it in in the wrong way, though.

It is interesting how Free Software companies are willing to recommend other
ones when they don't provide a particular service themselves.  (Of course,
your example isn't quite there, as Debian isn't a company.)  Do other people
find the same?

Actually, should we run or support a suppliers' directory?  I'm not sure
what's out there at present, or rather how they are viewed by people who
aren't suppliers themselves.

>> [...] Maybe GNU should be listed as a seperate bullet point?
>
> Actually, that's not a bad idea. Something like:
[text]

I quite like that presentation.

> Now back to lurkerdom.
>
> Telsa

Please excuse me while I go and freak out in the back of the office.  Does
this mean the listserver will now break?