Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: ralph
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 16:26:35 +0000

Hi Imran,

> From what I understand from http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html
> the GNU part is not about "credit" but ensuring people are aware of
> the freedoms. In a document which is about free (ais) software we can
> assume that people are aware of the freedoms so we can drop the GNU
> bit.
>
> I think that unless we explain the GNU bit in the text, we should use
> the name that people recognize.

Absolutely, I thought the earlier `no dice' comment was a bit final.
If you talk to people about Linux and use the term `GNU/Linux' they get
all confused.  It's as if you said `Red Hat Linux', or `SuSE Linux'.
At best, they think GNU is another competitor to Red Hat, and at worse
they think you're just trying to sell them your `GNU' version instead
of RH.

Just use `Linux'.  Trying to explain it isn't worthwhile since it isn't
of importance to your audience *at this stage* and the single page of
A4 has already become slightly crammed IMHO compared to the earlier
version.  We can't spare the space on something that isn't important to
them.

Cheers,

Ralph.