Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: [Fsfe-uk] Why FS is a Good Thing
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 17:04:13 GMT

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:
> Absolutely, I thought the earlier `no dice' comment was a bit final.

It's final because I don't think my opinion is going to change ;-)

> If you talk to people about Linux and use the term `GNU/Linux' they get
> all confused.

That's only because some people are inconsistent and won't call the ensemble
GNU/Linux instead of just the name of the kernel, surely?  Before this
discussion, I don't think I'd ever heard a reason other than laziness for
using just the kernel's name.

> At best, they think GNU is another competitor to Red Hat, and at worse
> they think you're just trying to sell them your `GNU' version instead of
> RH.

That is why I agree that it needs a quick explanation that GNU is another
project which provides much of the operating system.

> Just use `Linux'.  Trying to explain it isn't worthwhile since it isn't
> of importance to your audience *at this stage* and the single page of
> A4 has already become slightly crammed IMHO compared to the earlier
> version.  We can't spare the space on something that isn't important to
> them.

I disagree.  What is the point of that list?  It is to give lists of
successful Free Software projects.  GNU is probably the largest, so it
should definitely be included.  Maybe GNU should be listed as a seperate
bullet point?

I'm not inclined to worry too much about the cramming just now.  Let's get
clear wording of a wishlist of what we'd like to say.  We can edit it down
later (erm, right?).